Saturday, February 9, 2013

Mononoke: sans Princess

I finally got around to watching Mononoke (which I mistakenly believed was related to Princess Mononoke for far too long - this incidentally also makes gif hunting very difficult).  This is one of those shows that is visually stunning, complete with bright, opalescent colors, but is simultaneously so utterly terrifying.

Based on the three-episode Bakeneko story arc from the horror anthology Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Mononoke follows the travels (and inevitable exorcisms) of the mysterious Medicine Seller.

Mononoke splits itself into mini story arcs that are two or three episodes each, so plot and character development aren't really an issue.  The uniquely beautiful art style and unnerving atmosphere are really what define the show, so no ranting here.

That said, this post is basically an excuse for me to display a bunch of lovely Mononoke gifs that I have stumbled across.
Pretty much my reaction to this whole story arc
This kills the fish
Artistic violence
Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Drippy drippy snowflake blood

boop beep boop
Dramatic wind
Demons are so lovely in the wintertime
The colors, dude, the colors!

Oh, what's that?  You like trains?  Yeah not any more
NNNNNNGGGGG
Terrifying?  No, no, I think you meant adorable
Nope nope nope
Aaaand we're done.
Actual post with actual words next time, I promise.  I just felt that Mononoke deserved a wall of gifs rather than a wall of text, in honor of the art.

~Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment